One of the recent hot topic in town is the shortage of canned milk powder in Hong Kong. This incident is the result of a series of complicated yet interconnected events in China and Hong Kong. Some blamed the purchase power of an overwhelming number of mainland Chinese tourists and parallel importers from Shenzhen; some criticized the key manufacturers for controlling the supply. This incident is only part of a much bigger issue.
We can leave these complicated issues to scholars, journalists and politicians. Let's take a look at what are the available canned milk powder in Hong Kong and related facts.
Hong Kong 'Version' Milk Powder 香港版奶粉
Meadjohnson Enfagrow A+ / 美国美赞臣安儿宝 / 美赞臣
Friso GOLD / 荷兰美素佳儿 / 美素佳儿
Gate & Cow / 牛栏牌乐儿 / 牛栏牌
Abbott EyeQ Plus / 美国雅培恩美力 / 雅培
Wyeth Promil GOLD / 美国惠氏金裝健兒樂 / 惠氏
Snowbrand Smart Baby / 日本雪印思敏儿 / 雪印
- Around HK $250 to $300 per can in Hong Kong
- Around HK $350 to $400 per can in Shenzhen through parallel importers
- Local pharmacies 本地藥房
- Chained pharmacies: Mannings 万宁, Watsons 屈臣氏
- Supermarkets: ParknShop 百佳, Wellcome 惠康
- Online order and free deliver from Hong Kong distributor
Why canned milk powder?
- Working female in Asia have to return to work soon after giving birth
- Breast feeding facilities are virtually unavailable at work or at public places
- New born are usually not taken care of by their mother
- Fresh milk or processed milk is a luxury item due to logistics constraints
- Milk powder also contains addition nutrients that manufacturers claims to be better
Why prefer 'Hong Kong version' over 'China version' milk powder?
- Mainland Chinese parents trust the quality of milk powder purchased in Hong Kong
- These canned milk powder are imported directly from Australia, New Zealand, USA and the Netherlands; without repackaging in China (a country that went through a major milk powder scandal in 2008)